‘Students consistently reach the highest grades in the level 3 BTEC courses that they study.’ (Ofsted, 2017)
Why join our Sixth form?
- Small sixth form, big heart: We are a small sixth form with a lower teacher: student ratios. We believe in developing the whole individual and provide high-quality teaching;
- Ofsted rating: We are a good school with a good and rapidly improving sixth form;
- Government recognition: Our sixth form results in 2016 are recognised as the top 4% of all schools, nationally (Department for Education, 2017);
- We specialise in BTEC Level 3 Extended Diplomas in three main specialist areas (Applied Medical Science, Business, Health and Social Care)
What does Ofsted say about us?
‘Students consistently attain the highest possible grades’
‘Sixth-form achievement has been consistently good and current students are achieving very well.’
‘The close links between the regular work experience that sixth-form students undertake and their vocational courses are key contributors to their good achievement.’
‘The personal development, behaviour and welfare of sixth-form students are good. Through the curriculum, the school provides them with good opportunities to develop their basic skills and self-confidence.’
What do we offer – Our curriculum?
‘The curricular specialisms at key stage 5, and their vocational focus, enable those students who wish to, to move on successfully to higher education or apprenticeship schemes.’ (Ofsted, 2017)
We specialise in the BTEC National Level 3 Extended Diploma or similar. This is equivalent to three A-Levels. Our specialist pathways include:
- Applied Science (Biomedical specialism)
- Health and Social
- Childcare (NCFE CACHE Technical Level 3 Diploma in Childcare and Education)
Our sixth form offer includes:
- Core and Support Studies
- Learners will receive allocated time to develop their knowledge, skills and experiences in their specialist subject area;
- There are other opportunities for additional provision (GCSE English; GCSE Maths; languages);
- Support is provided by the Learning coach for supporting their health and welfare needs
- Enrichment and activities
- Students are given additional opportunities to become leaders and take part in vocational short courses (e.g. first aid, health and safety);
- There are opportunities to participate in other activities. This may include participating in trips and a whole school residential.
- Work Experience (one-day a week)
- All sixth form students successfully complete the work placement which is linked to their programme of study. Applied learning is at the heart of everything we do;
- All students spend one day a week in a workplace. Students will gain first-hand experience of the working world where they are able to learn how things are done in industry. Students will become fully integrated part time members of staff who will develop skills to work independently on tasks assigned to them.
Our general entry requirements:
- Five GCSE Grade A* to C | passes (with English Language or literature and Mathematics) at Grade 4 or above;
- In exceptional circumstances, you may have GCSE English or Maths at Grade 3. You would be required to attend classes and achieve a Grade 4 before completion of the final year. If your grades do not meet our general entry requirements, do come and talk to us.
Our Achievements and successes
We are proud of our achievements and congratulations to all of our students in the class of 2017
BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma – 2017 Results
- 100% Pass at D*D*D* – PPP (equivalent to A*A*A* to CCC at A-Levels);
- 88% achieving DDD or above (equivalent to AAA at A-Levels);
- 42% achieving D*D*D* or above (equivalent to A*A*A* at A-Levels)
- Health and Social Care: 100% of students achieved DDD or above, with 69% achieving D*D*D*.
Are you interested? Join our sixth form
Come and talk to us! Fill in an application.
For further details contact the Head of Sixth Form for further details